Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Leah's Second Demonstration

On Saturday I met my best friend Ruby and her mums Erika & Natalie for breakfast at my usual haunt - Rose Pistola's at the Saturday Farmer's Market. As usual I used my non-verbal powers of persuasion to get Mum to give me some of her breakfast, she let me try a little bit of egg which I spat back out (yeeuucch, it tasted of those slimy mushroom things she likes) but I enjoyed chewing on the toasted bread a lot! I even managed to use my little tooth to get a bit loose and make it soggy enough so that I could swallow it - yummy!

After breakfast our mums took us across the road to Justin Herman plaza to look at the very noisy people that had gathered there. They were split into two sections – one lot all held signs saying ‘Pro-Choice’, the other, much bigger group had signs saying ‘Pro-Life’. Apparently this lot gather here every year and shout at one another. Our mums thought it was important that Ruby and I saw both groups, the ‘Pro-Choice’ group was definitely more colourful with lots of people dressed up in costumes and singing songs but Ruby’s mums were much more interested to take a look at the ‘Pro-Life’ groups who had arrived on lots of buses from around the state. Here’s a picture of me and my mum and Ruby and her mum Natalie with this crowd:
Mum says it's interesting to see how many people in this crowd are men given the issue is primarily one that affects women. I think they misunderstood our intentions of standing next to them but we didn’t mind. As we were watching them all march off down the Embarcadero my mum spotted some grannies coming towards us. She thought they were very funny and wanted to have her picture taken with them – here they are:
So I’ve now been to two demonstrations in San Francisco, it’s great to live in a place where people feel they can get together and shout about something they believe in. I had a chat with Ruby afterwards and she told me that she’d learned about other forms of peaceful protesting and has been practising at home whenever her mums try and feed her vegetables. I told her that if she holds out for long enough they’re bound to give in and give her the good stuff – pears and apples. I did this with my mum and I haven’t looked back since, now I get pears all the time! We both agreed that that white, gloopy, sour stuff that comes in mini-tubs simply must not be tolerated so we’re going to join forces on that one.
Peace!

No comments: